|Background: Depression and cognitive impairment are two psychosocial health problems significantly affecting the quality of life of older adults across the globe. This study aimed to estimate the prevalence of psychosocial morbidities among older adults in a rural community of coastal Karnataka, India, and to determine the socio-demographic correlates of these morbidities.|
Methods: This cross-sectional study was conducted in rural and semi-urban Udupi taluka, in southern India. A total of 1,832 men and women aged ≥60 years were surveyed from 2015 to 2017 using a simple random method. Data was collected from the participants through an interviewer-administered pre-designed semi-structured questionnaire, Geriatric depression scale-Short version, and Everyday Abilities Scale India, and data were analyzed using SPSS version 26.0. Prevalence of depression and cognitive impairment among the study participants were reported, and significant sociodemographic predictors of these morbidities were determined using multivariate analysis.
Results: Prevalence of depression and cognitive impairment were 38.7% and 49.1%, respectively, among older adults. Low literacy, low socioeconomic status, and unemployment were significant predictors of depression, while only low literacy was found to be the predictor of cognitive impairment. Further, being employed in old age showed a protective effect on their cognitive health.
Conclusion: Psychosocial problems were highly prevalent among community-dwelling older adults. Improving their general health conditions, getting them involved in social activities tailored to their abilities and preferences, and ensuring economic independence through social security measures would pave the way in enhancing the mental health of older adults in southern India.
- Guo J, Huang X, Dou L, Yan M, Shen T, Tang W, et al. Aging and aging-related diseases: from molecular mechanisms to interventions and treatments. Sig Transduct Target Ther. 2022; 7: 391. doi: 10.1038/s41392-022-01251-0. PMID: 36522308. PMCID: PMC9755275.
- Grover S, Malhotra N. Depression in elderly: A review of Indian research. J Geriatric Ment Health 2015; 2:4-15. doi: 10.4103/2348-9995.161376.
- Muhammad T, Meher T. Association of late-life depression with cognitive impairment: evidence from a cross-sectional study among older adults in India. BMC geriatrics. 2021:15; 21, 364. doi: 10.1186/s12877-021-02314-7. PMID: 34130632. PMCID: PMC8204463.
- SAMPLE REGISTRATION SYSTEM (SRS)-BULLETIN 2019 VOLUME 54-I [internet]. India [cited 2023 May 15] Available at https://censusindia.gov.in/nada/index.php/catalog/42686.
- India State-Level Disease Burden Initiative Mental Disorders Collaborators. The burden of mental disorders across the states of India: the global burden of disease study 1990–2017. Lancet Psychiatry 2020 Feb; 7(2): 148–61. doi: 10.1016/S2215-0366(19)30475-4. PMID: PMCID: PMC7029418.
- van den Kommer TN, Comijs HC, Aartsen MJ, Huisman M, Deeg DJ, Beekman AT. Depression and cognition: how do they interrelate in old age? The American Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry. 2013 Apr; 21(4):398-410. doi: 1016/j.jagp.2012.12.015. PMID: 23498387.
- Moreira RO, Soldera AL, Cury B, Meireles C, Kupfer R. Is cognitive impairment associated with the presence and severity of peripheral neuropathy in patients with type 2 diabetes mellitus? Diabetol Metab Syndr. 2015 Jun 7; 7:51. doi: 1186/s13098-015-0045-0. PMID: 26075029. PMCID: PMC4465619.
- Lodha P, De Sousa A. Geriatric mental health: The challenges for India. J Geriatr Ment Heal. 2018; 5:16–29. doi: 10.4103/jgmh.jgmh_34_17.
- Pilania M, Bairwa M, Khurana H, Kumar N. Prevalence and Predictors of Depression in Community-Dwelling Elderly in Rural Haryana, India. Indian J Community Med. 2017 Jan-Mar; 42(1):13-18. doi: 4103/0970-0218.199792. PMID: 28331248. PMCID: PMC5348997.
- Dasgupta A, Ghose S, Paul B, Bandyopadhyay L, Ghosh P, Yadav A. Cognitive impairment and its predictors: A cross-sectional study among the elderly in a rural community of West Bengal. J Family Med Prim Care. 2020 Sep 30; 9(9):4603-4612. doi: 4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_604_20. PMID: 33209770. PMCID: PMC7652164.
- Lena A, Ashok K, Padma M, Kamath V, Kamath A. Health and Social Problems of the Elderly: A Cross-Sectional Study in Udupi Taluk, Karnataka. Indian J Community Med 2009 Apr; 34(2):131-4. doi: 4103/0970-0218.51236. PMID: 19966960. PMCID: PMC2781120.
- Udupi District - Population 2011-2023. [internet] Udupi District Population Census 2011 - 2021 - 2023, Karnataka literacy sex ratio and density. [cited 2023 May 22]. Available from https://www.census2011.co.in/census/district/268-udupi.html.
- Shaji S,Bose S,Verghese A. Prevalence of dementia in an urban population in Kerala, India.Br J psychiatry 2005 Feb;186:136-40. doi: 1192/bjp.186.2.136. PMID: 15684237.
- Pareek U, Trivedi G (1995). Manual of Socio-Economic Status Scale (rural). Delhi: Manasayan Publishers, New Delhi.
- Sheikh JI, & Yesavage JA. (1986). Geriatric Depression Scale (GDS): Recent evidence and development of a shorter version. Clinical Gerontologist: The Journal of Aging and Mental Health 1986, 5(1-2), 165–173. doi: 10.1300/J018v05n0109.
- Every Day Ability scale of India [internet]. [cited 2022 Apr 23]; Available from: https://www.dementia-epidemiology.pitt.edu/wp content/uploads/IndoUS_Instruments/EASI_English.pdf.
- Raina SK, Chander V, Raina S, Kumar D. Feasibility of using everyday abilities scale of India as an alternative to mental state examination as a screen in two-phase survey estimating the prevalence of dementia in and this tool illiterate Indian population. Indian J Psychiatry 2016 Oct-Dec; 58(4): 459-61. doi: org/10.4103/0019-5545.196715. PMID: PMCID: PMC5270274.
- Kumar AT, Sowmiya KR, Radhika G. Morbidity Pattern among the Elderly People Living in a Southern Rural India - A Cross Sectional Study. Nat J Res Com Med 2012; 1:15-9. doi: 10.4103/2249-4863.220025.
- Ghosh A, Sarkar D, Pal R, Mukherjee B. A Profile of Common Morbidities among Elderly Rural Indian Population. American Journal of Public Health Research 2015; 3(5A):29-33. doi: 10.12691/ajphr-3-5A-7.
- Datta PP, Gangopadhyay N,Sengupta B. Association of psychological morbidity with socio-demographic characteristics among elderly: A cross-sectional study from Eastern India. International Journal of Medicine and Public Health 2013; 3:94-9. doi: 10.4103/2230-8598.115172.
- Reddy NB, Pallavi M, Reddy NN, Reddy CS, Singh RK, Pirabu RA. Psychological Morbidity Status Among the Rural Geriatric Population of Tamil Nadu, India: A Cross-sectional Study. Indian J Psychol Med. 2012 Jul;34(3):227-31. doi: 10.4103/0253-7176.106016. PMID: 23441084. PMCID: PMC3573572.
- Maulik S, Dasgupta A. Depression and its determinants in the rural elderly of West Bengal Cross-sectional study. International Journal of Biological and Medical Research 2012; 3:1299 302.
- Hameed S, Kumar N, Naik PM, Sachidananda K, Prasanna K S. Morbidity Pattern Among the Elderly Population in A Rural Area of Dakshin Kannada, Karnataka–A Cross Sectional Study. Natl J Community Med [Internet]. 2015 Jun. 30 [cited 2023 Aug. 31];6(2):222-5. Available from: https://njcmindia.com/index.php/file/article/view/1169.
- AP Rajkumar. Nature, prevalence, and factors associated with depression among the elderly in a rural south Indian community. Int Psychogeriatr 2009 Apr; 21(2): 372-8. doi: 1017/s1041610209008527. PMID: 19243657. PMCID: PMC3100909.
- Cole MG, Dendukuri N. Risk factors for depression among elderly community subjects: a systematic review and meta-analysis. American Journal of Psychiatry 2003 Jun; 160(6): 1147-56. doi: 1176/appi.ajp.160.6.1147. PMID: 12777274.
- Abolfotouh MA, Daffallah AA, Khan MY, Khattab MS, Abdulmoneim I. Psychosocial assessment of geriatric subjects in Abha City, Saudi Arabia. Eastern Mediterranean Health Journal 2001 May; 7(3): 481-91. doi: 10.26719/2001.7.3.481. PMID: 12690770.
- Suganathan S. A study on depression among elderly in a rural population of Tamil Nadu, India. Int J Community Med Public Health 2016 Sep; 3(9): 2571-3. doi: 10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20163074.
- Swarnalatha N. The Prevalence of depression among the rural elderly in Chittoor District, Andhra Pradesh. J Clin Diagn Res 2013 Jul; 7(7): 1356-9. doi: 7860/jcdr/2013/5956.3141. PMID: 23998065. PMCID: PMC3749635.
- Tiwari SC. Geriatric psychiatric morbidity in rural northern India: implications for the future. Int Psychogeriatr. 2000 Mar;12(1):35-48. doi: 1017/s1041610200006189. PMID: 10798452.
- Thilak SA, Sarada AK, Neloopant SA. Prevalence and factors associated with depression among the elderly in rural areas of Kannur, North Kerala, India: a cross-sectional study. Int J Community Med Public Health 2016 Aug; 3(8):1986-91. doi: 10.18203/2394-6040.ijcmph20162184.
- Nautiyal A, Satheesh Madhav NV, Ojha A, Sharma RK, Bhargava S, Kothiyal P, et al. Prevalence of Depression among Geriatric People in Dehradun City of Uttarakhand, India. J Depress Anxiety 2015 Oct; 4: 208. doi:10.4200/2167-1044.1000208.
- Soni S, Shukla M, Kumar M. Prevalence of depression and associated risk factors among the elderly in rural field practice areas of a tertiary care institution in Katihar, Bihar. Int J Adv Med 2016 Oct-Dec; 3(4):1016-9. doi:18203/2349-3933.ijam20163740.
- Jain RK, Aras RY. Depression in geriatric population in urban slums of Mumbai. Indian J Public Health 2007 Apr-Jun; 51(2):112-3. PMID: 18240472.
- Goswami S, Deshmukh PR, Pawar R, Raut AV, Bhagat M, Mehendale AM. Magnitude of depression and its correlates among elderly population in a rural area of Maharashtra: A cross-sectional study. J Family Med Prim Care 2017 Oct-Dec; 6(4):803-12. doi: 4103/jfmpc.jfmpc_97_17. PMID: 29564268. PMCID: PMC5848403.
- Sherina MS, Rampal L, Mustaqim A. Cognitive impairment among the elderly in a rural community in Malaysia. Med J Malaysia. 2004 Jun ;59(2):252-7. PMID: 15559177.
- Wickrama KK, O'Neal CW, Kwag KH, Lee TK. Is working later in life good or bad for health? An investigation of multiple health outcomes. J Gerontol B Psychol Sci Soc Sci. 2013 Sep; 68(5):807-15.doi:1093/geronb/gbt069. PMID: 23887930. PMCID: PMC3744046.
- Sustainable Development Goals: United Nations Development Programme [internet]. [cited 2023 May 22]. Available from https://www.undp.org/sustainable-development-goals.