|Background: Coronavirus disease-19 (COVID-19) is a widespread disease all over the world that has caused many psychological complications such as health anxiety (HA) and low quality of life (QOL). Mindfulness-based approaches could improve these complications. Therefore, this study aimed to investigate the effect of Internet-delivered mindfulness stress reduction combined with acceptance and commitment therapy (IMSR-ACT) on QOL and HA of caregivers of patients infected by COVID-19.|
Methods: In this randomized clinical trial, 72 people from Golpayegan city, Iran, who had a patient with COVID-19 in their family were selected from March to June 2020. A caregiver with a score above 27 on the Health Anxiety inventory (HAI-18) was selected using simple random sampling. Participants were assigned in the intervention or control group by permuted block random allocation. The intervention group was trained by MSR and ACT techniques for 9 weeks accomplished via WhatsApp. All participants completed the QOLQuestionnaire-12 (SF-12) items and HAI-18 before and after completing IMSR-ACT sessions. The data were analyzed through SPSS-23 software, using Chi square, independent and paired t-test, and analysis of covariance, and P-value<0.05 was considered as significant.
Results: The results showed that the intervention group compared to the control group had a significant decrease in all subscales of HAI after the intervention including worry about consequences (5.78±2.66 vs. 7.37±1.34, P=0.004) and awareness of bodily sensation or changes (8.90±2.77 vs. 11.75±2.30, P=0.001), worry about health (10.94±2.38 vs. 13.09±1.92, P=0.001), and total score of HAI (25.62±4.93 vs. 32.25±3.93, P=0.001). Also, the intervention group compared to the control group had better QOL after the intervention in general health perceptions (3.03±0.96 vs. 2.43±0.95, P=0.01), mental health (7.12±2.25 vs. 6.34±1.85 and P=0.01) and mental component summary) 16.78±3.75 vs. 15.43±3.05, P=0.01), physical component summary (16.06±2.66 vs. 15.19±2.25, P=0.01), and total score of SF-12 (32.84±5.39 vs. 30.62±4.34, P=0.004).
Conclusion: Internet-delivered MSR combined with ACT could improve the HA and QOL of caregivers with patients infected by COVID-19. Thus, it can used in other similar situations for now and future. Also, it seems to be a useful approach for caregivers of the other illnesses.
Trial Registration Number: IRCT20180909040974N5
- Eastin C, Eastin T. Clinical Characteristics of Coronavirus Disease 2019 in China. Journal of Emergency Medicine. 2020;58:711-2.
- World Health Organization. Coronavirus disease (COVID-19) Weekly Epidemiological Updates and Monthly Operational Updates. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2023.
- Torales J, O’Higgins M, Castaldelli-Maia JM, Ventriglio A. The outbreak of COVID-19 coronavirus and its impact on global mental health. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2020;66:317-20.
- Sediri S, Zgueb Y, Ouanes S, et al. Women’s mental health: acute impact of COVID-19 pandemic on domestic violence. Archives of Women’s Mental Health. 2020;23:749-56.
- Ferreira LN, Pereira LN, da Fé Brás M, Ilchuk K. Quality of life under the COVID-19 quarantine. Quality of Life Research. 2021;30:1389-405.
- Zhang Y, Ma ZF. Impact of the COVID-19 pandemic on mental health and quality of life among local residents in Liaoning Province, China: A cross-sectional study. International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. 2020;17:2381.
- Özdin S, Bayrak Özdin Ş. Levels and predictors of anxiety, depression and health anxiety during COVID-19 pandemic in Turkish society: The importance of gender. International Journal of Social Psychiatry. 2020;66:504-11.
- Luo M, Guo L, Yu M, et al. The psychological and mental impact of coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) on medical staff and general public–A systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychiatry Research. 2020;291:113190.
- Landi G, Pakenham KI, Boccolini G, et al. Health anxiety and mental health outcome during COVID-19 lockdown in Italy: the mediating and moderating roles of psychological flexibility. Frontiers in Psychology. 2020;11:2195.
- Gropalis M, Witthöft M, Bailer J, Weck F. Optimizing exposure therapy for pathological health anxiety: Considerations from the inhibitory learning approach. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice. 2018;25:250-60.
- Moghanibashi-Mansourieh A. Assessing the anxiety level of Iranian general population during COVID-19 outbreak. Asian Journal of Psychiatry. 2020;51:102076.
- Yu J, Yu Y. Therapeutic effects of targeted nursing interventions combined with auricular-plaster therapy on anxiety level and life quality of Hepatitis B patients. Pakistan Journal of Pharmaceutical Sciences. 2018;31:1375-8.
- Antoni MH, Dhabhar FS. The impact of psychosocial stress and stress management on immune responses in patients with cancer. Cancer. 2019;125:1417-31.
- Zhou X, Guo J, Lu G, et al. Effects of mindfulness-based stress reduction on anxiety symptoms in young people: A systematic review and meta-analysis. Psychiatry Research. 2020;289:113002.
- Gloster AT, Walder N, Levin M, et al. The empirical status of acceptance and commitment therapy: A review of meta-analyses. Journal of Contextual Behavioral Science. 2020;18:181-92.
- Surawy C, McManus F, Muse K, Williams JMG. Mindfulness-based cognitive therapy (MBCT) for health anxiety (hypochondriasis): rationale, implementation and case illustration. Mindfulness. 2015;6:382-92.
- Hoffmann D, Rask CU, Hedman-Lagerlöf E, et al. Efficacy of internet-delivered acceptance and commitment therapy for severe health anxiety: results from a randomized, controlled trial. Psychological Medicine. 2021;51:2685-95.
- Chong YY, Mak YW, Leung SP, et al. Acceptance and commitment therapy for parental management of childhood asthma: An RCT. Pediatrics. 2019;143:e20181723.
- Potter KJ, Golijana-Moghaddam N, Evangelou N, et al. Self-help acceptance and commitment therapy for carers of people with multiple sclerosis: A feasibility randomised controlled trial. Journal of Clinical Psychology in Medical Settings. 2021;28:279-94.
- Newby JM, McElroy E. The impact of internet-delivered cognitive behavioural therapy for health anxiety on cyberchondria. Journal of Anxiety Disorders. 2020;69:102150.
- Newby JM, Smith J, Uppal S, et al. Internet-based cognitive behavioral therapy versus psychoeducation control for illness anxiety disorder and somatic symptom disorder: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology. 2018;86:89-98.
- Shim M, Tilley JL, Im S, et al. A systematic review of mindfulness-based interventions for patients with mild cognitive impairment or dementia and caregivers. Journal of Geriatric Psychiatry and Neurology. 2021;34:528-54.
- Johns SA, Beck-Coon K, Stutz PV, et al. Mindfulness training supports quality of life and advance care planning in adults with metastatic cancer and their caregivers: results of a pilot study. American Journal of Hospice and Palliative Care. 2020;37:88-99.
- Brown M, Glendenning A, Hoon AE, John A. Effectiveness of web-delivered acceptance and commitment therapy in relation to mental health and well-being: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Journal of Medical Internet Research. 2016;18:e221.
- Gozalo RG, Tarrés JF, Ayora AA, et al. Application of a mindfulness program among healthcare professionals in an intensive care unit: Effect on burnout, empathy and self-compassion. Medicina Intensiva. 2019;43:207-16.
- Jasrial D. Utilizing WhatsApp application for teaching English language: Why and how? International Seminar and Annual Meeting BKS-PTN Wilayah Barat. 2018;1:151-7.
- Parvin N, Zarei H, Taklavi S. The Effect of Gross Model Emotion Regulation Intervention on Educational Adaptation and Health Anxiety of Adolescents with Families Affected by Covid-19. Journal of Health and Care. 2022;24:64-75. [In Persian]
- Harris R. FACE COVID: How to respond effectively to the Corona crisis. US: University of Louisville; 2020.
- Ware Jr J, Kosinski M, Keller SD. A 12-Item Short-Form Health Survey: construction of scales and preliminary tests of reliability and validity. Medical Care. 1996;34:220-33.
- Montazeri A, Vahdaninia M, Mousavi SJ, Omidvari S. The Iranian version of 12-item Short Form Health Survey (SF-12): factor structure, internal consistency and construct validity. BMC Public Health. 2009;9:341.
- Salkovskis PM, Rimes KA, Warwick H, Clark D. The Health Anxiety Inventory: development and validation of scales for the measurement of health anxiety and hypochondriasis. Psychological Medicine. 2002;32:843-53.
- Hedman E, Lekander M, Ljótsson B, et al. Optimal cut-off points on the health anxiety inventory, illness attitude scales and whiteley index to identify severe health anxiety. PLoS One. 2015;10:e0123412.
- World Medical Association. World Medical Association Declaration of Helsinki: ethical principles for medical research involving human subjects. JAMA. 2013;310:2191-4.
- Zargar F, Farid AAA, Atef-Vahid MK, et al. Effect of acceptance-based behavior therapy on severity of symptoms, worry and quality of life in women with generalized anxiety disorder. Iranian Journal of Psychiatry and Behavioral Sciences. 2012;6:23-32.
- Eustis EH, Hayes-Skelton SA, Roemer L, Orsillo SM. Reductions in experiential avoidance as a mediator of change in symptom outcome and quality of life in acceptance-based behavior therapy and applied relaxation for generalized anxiety disorder. Behaviour Research and Therapy. 2016;87:188-95.
- Rozental A, Kottorp A, Boettcher J, et al. Negative effects of psychological treatments: an exploratory factor analysis of the negative effects questionnaire for monitoring and reporting adverse and unwanted events. PLoS One. 2016;11:e0157503.
- Napoli M, Bonifas R. From theory toward empathic self-care: Creating a mindful classroom for social work students. Social Work Education. 2011;30:635-49.
- Abramowitz JS, Deacon BJ, Whiteside SP. Exposure therapy for anxiety: Principles and practice. 2nd ed. US: Guilford Publications; 2019.
- Tao TJ, Chan FH, Jin J, Barry TJ. The effects of efficacy framing in news information and health anxiety on coronavirus-disease-2019-related cognitive outcomes and interpretation bias. Journal of Experimental Psychology, General. 2022;151:2943-56.
- Zhang Q, Zhao H, Zheng Y. Effectiveness of mindfulness-based stress reduction (MBSR) on symptom variables and health-related quality of life in breast cancer patients-a systematic review and meta-analysis. Supportive Care in Cancer. 2019;27:771-81.