|Background: This study was performed to describe clinical profile of patients with androgenic alopecia and investigate the efficacy of autologous platelet-rich plasma (PRP) injection in androgenic alopecia.|
Methods: In this prospective study, adult patients in stage III-VI androgenic alopecia were enrolled. Their clinical profile, i.e., age, duration of alopecia, history of previous treatment, family history of alopecia, pattern of alopecia, grade of alopecia, and hair pull test were noted. The enrolled patients were treated with PRP once a month for 3 months and evaluated with clinical photographs. Hair density and hair thickness were measured using USB portable digital trichoscope and digital computerized trichoscan analysis. Clinical evaluation was performed using a 4-point scale including worsening, no improvement, mild improvement, and moderate to significant improvement. Patients were followed every month for 4 months after the procedure.
Results: Out of 36 patients, 7 (20%) had a history of previous treatment and 12 (33.3%) had a positive family history of alopecia. The mean (SD) hair count of 17.33 (4.42) at visit 1 increased to 19.20 (6.24) at visit 4 (P<0.0001). The mean hair thickness increased from 0.07 (0.058) mm at visit 1 to 0.11±0.09 mm at visit 4 (P<0.0001). Overall, clinically significant and mild improvement was observed in 11 (33.66%) and 9 (30%) patients, respectively. No improvement was observed in 4 (13.33%) patients, whereas 2 (6.66%) patients experienced worsening of the condition.
Conclusion: PRP is effective in increasing the hair count and hair thickness. However, clinically significant improvement was observed in only one third of the patients. PRP can be considered as an adjuvant treatment for patients with androgenic alopecia.
- Kaliyaden F, Nambiar A, Vijayaraghavan S. Androgenic alopecia: An update. Indian J Dermatol Venereool Leprol 2013; 79:613-25 doi: 10.4103/0378-6323.116730. PMID: 23974579.
- Shankar DK, Chakravarthi M, Shilpakar R. Male androgenetic alopecia: Population-based study in 1,005 subjects. Int J Trichol 2009; 1:131-3 doi: 10.4103/0974-7753.58556. PMID: 20927235; PMCID: PMC2938575.
- Marx R.E. Platelet-rich plasma (PRP): What is PRP and what is not PRP? Implant Dent. 2001; 10:225–228. doi: 10.1097/00008505-200110000-00002. PMID: 11813662.
- Park KY, Kim IS, Kim BJ, Kim MN. Letter: Autologous fat grafting and platelet-rich plasma for treatment of facial contour defects. Dermatol Surg. 2012; 38: 1572–4. doi: 10.1111/j.1524-4725.2012.02515.x. PMID: 22974382.
- Norwood OT. Male pattern baldness: classification and incidence. South Med J 1975; 68:1359-65 doi: 10.1097/00007611-197511000-00009. PMID: 1188424.
- Sharma VK, Bhari N, Patra S, Parihar AS. Platelet-rich plasma therapy for androgenetic alopecia. Indian J Dermatol. 2019; 64:417-19. doi: 10.4103/ijd.IJD_363_17. PMID: 31543541; PMCID: PMC6749759.
- Salman KE, Altunay IK, Kucukunal NA, Cerman AA. Frequency, severity and related factors of androgenetic alopecia in dermatology outpatient clinic: hospital-based cross-sectional study in Turkey. An Bras Dermatol. 2017; 92:35-40. doi: 10.1590/abd1806-4841.20175241. PMID: 28225954; PMCID: PMC5312176.
- Zari J, Abdolmajid F, Masood M, Vahid M, Yalda N. Evaluation of the relationship between androgenetic alopecia and demodex infestation. Indian J Dermatol. 2008; 53:64-7. doi: 10.4103/0019-5154.41647. PMID: 19881989; PMCID: PMC2763723.
- Grover S. A study of patterns of androgenetic alopecia in men: An Indian perspective. Br J Dermatol 2005; 152: 572-4. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2005.06442.x. PMID: 15787835.
- Sehgal VN, Kak R, Aggarwal A, Srivastava G, Rajput P. Male pattern androgenetic alopecia in an Indian context: A perspective study. J Eur Acad Dermatol Venereol 2007; 21: 473-9 doi: 10.1111/j.1468-3083.2006.01920.x. PMID: 17373973.
- Wang TL, Zhou C, Shen YW, Wang XY, Ding XL, Tian S, et al. Prevalence of androgenetic alopecia in China: A community-based study in six cities. Br J Dermatol 2010; 162: 843-7. doi: 10.1111/j.1365-2133.2010.09640.x. Epub 2009 Jan 22. PMID: 20105167.
- Paik JH, Yoon JB, Sim WY, Kim BS, Kim NI. The prevalence and types of androgenetic alopecia in Korean men and women. Br J Dermatol 2001; 145: 95-9. doi: 10.1046/j.1365-2133.2001.04289.x. PMID: 11453914.
- Gupta AK, Carviel JL. Meta-analysis of efficacy of platelet-rich plasma therapy for androgenetic alopecia. J Dermatolog Treat. 2017; 28: 55-58. doi: 10.1080/09546634.2016.1179712. Epub 2016 May 6. PMID: 27152474.
- Giordano S, Romeo M, Di Summa P, Salval A, Lankinen P. A meta-analysis on evidence of platelet-rich plasma for androgenetic alopecia. Int J Trichology. 2018; 10:1-10. doi: 10.4103/ijt.ijt_74_16. PMID: 29440850; PMCID: PMC5803844.
- Mao G, Zhang G, Fan W. Platelet-rich plasma for treating androgenic alopecia: a systematic review. Aesthetic Plast Surg. 2019:43:1326-36. doi: 10.1007/s00266-019-01391-9. Epub 2019 Jun 11. PMID: 31187167.
- Rodrigues BL, Montalvão SA, Annichinno-Bizzacchi J, Cancela R, Silva F, Paffaro A, et al. The therapeutic response of platelet rich plasma (PRP) for androgenetic alopecia showed no correlation with growth factors and platelet number. Blood 2016;128: 2637. doi: 10.1016/j.jaad.2018.09.033. Epub 2018 Oct 2. PMID: 30287324.
- Khatu SS, More YE, Gokhale NR, Chavhan DC, Bendsure N. Platelet-rich plasma in androgenic alopecia: myth or an effective tool. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2014; 7: 107-10. doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.138352. PMID: 25136212; PMCID: PMC4134641.
- Cervantes J, Perper M, Wong LL, Eber AE, Fricke AC, Wikramanayake TC, Jimenez JJ. Effectiveness of platelet-rich plasma for androgenetic alopecia: A review of the literature. Skin Appendage Disord. 2018; 4:1-11. doi: 10.1159/000477671. Epub 2017 Jun 24. PMID: 29457005; PMCID: PMC5806173.
- Chen JX, Justicz N, Lee LN. Platelet-rich plasma for the treatment of androgenic alopecia: A systematic review. Facial Plastic Surgery. 2018; 34: 631-40. doi: 10.1055/s-0038-1660845. Epub 2018 Jun 28. PMID: 29954021.
- Borhan R, Gasnier C, Reygagne P. Autologous platelet rich plasma as a treatment of male androgenetic alopecia: study of 14 cases. J Clin Exp Dermatol Res. 2015; 6:1-6. doi: 10.4172/2155-9554.10000292
- Gkini MA, Kouskoukis AE, Tripsianis G, Rigopoulos D, Kouskoukis K. Study of platelet-rich plasma injections in the treatment of androgenetic alopecia through an one-year period. J Cutan Aesthet Surg. 2014; 7: 213-9 doi: 10.4103/0974-2077.150743. PMID: 25722600; PMCID: PMC4338465.